Thursday, January 6, 2022

The Escaping Sigh

With a hesitation I take a deep breath

not certain what sigh holding what 

story may escape surprising me with

time and place and details nearly 

forgotten, barely remembered.  Then

the clarity of the past brought into

the present enhanced by imagination

whose details are concerned with 

meaning the nearly forgotten, barely

remembered bring.  I don’t know how 

these sighs collect what they bring,

what prompts the once-upon-a-time

beginning that so often unnerves me 

then demands, smilingly, a thank you.

I know how the present changes the past 

and the implications  of the past not 

affecting any present moment the way 

we’ve been told they do. I sigh a lot these 

days, hear once-upon-a-time, sit down until

the sigh ends, the echoes haunting where I am.

-Byron Hoot

hootnhowlpoetry.com 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Lauds

It is Sunday and I feel the futility of prayer in the air and the urge to pray as if each holds a danger.  I think of the infant Hercules st...