Wednesday, October 20, 2021

Back Roads

I wish the past was                 

like the cars and trucks

I see in my rearview

calculating speed and distance

to catch up.  I look ahead, look

up, they’re gone.

 

Who has not wished for

some things to be utterly

redeemed beyond the lessons learned?

 

Usually it’s on two-lane roads

where passing is marked 

by broken lines, where double 

lines say, “Do Not Cross,” 

and speed is dictated by road

surface, curves, hills, other traffic

these feelings and thoughts appear.

 

I am coming and going – the one

thing about being on the road

that doesn’t change:  some 

place is left, some place 

awaiting my arrival.

 

It matters how I drive.

It matters what I learn.

It matters that the past

can’t be redeemed –

just so curious I keep

wishing it could be.


-Byron Hoot


hootnhowlpoetry.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

To Life

I have now lived nearly seven years alone except for two covid years my youngest son lived with me in that milk and honey time of near solit...