Friday, March 19, 2021

Within The Chaos

Homelife is chaotic
wading through the garbage
haven't even opened the door
Underneath all the trash
my floorplan is simple
two bedrooms, two bathrooms
one kitchen ,one balcony
=-
Beneath the grime
invisible glove prints
once upon a time paid professionals
installed a carpet, they bought fresh doors
wiped the windows and replaced the blinds
Before all my junk was stored in boxes
I was living in another house with the same history
paid professionals mowed the lawn every morning
I get to take it for granted
cause it wasn't my job
They fix all of the left behind damage
In the eyes of the repairman
every tenant is a clean up project in waiting
They don't come over to gab
they come over to fix our mistakes
I know the truth about janitors
they know life is temporary
all things breakdown, they know the weight
of heavy machinery
No other people work as hard
as manual laborers
they hold the tools in their hands
constructing others designs
harvesting clay and brick
They own junkyards and they live as masters
of their equipment
our little worlds in apartments and studios
will inevitably be emptied out and wasted
I'm never going to know the name of the person who designed my building
I'll find no memorial in my bathroom for the plumbers
I'll find no dedications outside of the elevator
no trophies or prizes
shadows in plain sight
eyes and ears that could spot any flaw
and fix it while never asking for praise
they are humble and they are everywhere
Imagine what they could do if we made them angry
My house is a mess at all times, single or with family
I function in world that will only exist for a few more years
before it shifts to a new location
this is an unescapable temporal shift within the life of the low income poet
I'm going to be quite the assignment when I'm gone
after I've moved on
it took the last company a week to get rid of my mess
one week to clean up spilled wine, one week to wonder why there are scratch marks on the windows
why a gold cross was nailed to the ceiling
one week to find my initials carved into the plaster at the base of my bed
Another couple days to repaint the walls
to conquer my shadows shadow
they always do and they always will
because that is what the repairmen are paid for
I left more behind than just my dirt
I left a hidden message on the concrete where I used to smoke
they'd have to tear the sidewalk apart to get rid of it
The message reads Happy Halloween. Now you know
nobody even noticed. We're not so different
we both function in the shadows, we work better without other people around
no matter what, people like us will always exist
within the chaos.

-James Otter

No comments:

Post a Comment

To Life

I have now lived nearly seven years alone except for two covid years my youngest son lived with me in that milk and honey time of near solit...